Friday, September 23, 2011

Out and about...

I'm finally feeling comfortable leaving the house with my babies.  They are now adjusted age 2 weeks and 7 weeks old really!  Rocco is now weighing in at a whopping 8lbs 9oz and Maximus is 7lbs 13oz!!  They are growing boys!  This past week they went out to dinner with us, them being covered up in their car seats (paranoid mom alert!), and to the grocery store!  I pushed the babies in a cart and C pushed the cart for the groceries.  It was the site to see!  I figure once I'm comfortable to go alone, I can put one in my sleepy wrap and push on the cart in his car seat.

I've also been walking daily (almost) and started doing some Pilate's at home. Man do I feel weak!  I'm about 10 lbs away from my prepregnancy weight and 13 away from pre IVF.  Not too bad.  I kinda platued a little for a few weeks, I think because I wasn't eating enough.  I just started eating a lot more and I've lost a couple more lbs!  I'm hoping that trend continues!  I just ordered a workout dvd from netflix and I'm going to start running again soon (probable more like a walk jog to start).  I'm very motivated to get back into shape, especially since we'll be heading back to Kauai in February!!!!  It will be our first family vacation!!  Super excited!

As for the breastfeeding, its going better.  The pumping is definitely helping and I am noticing my left producing more.  I had a LC come over today and she is starting me on the SNS system.  Because the babies had to be supplemented in the beginning, it TOTALLY screwed up my milk supply!  I am frustrated with my pediatrician for recommending them to be supplement with formula.  Knowing what I know now, she should have rec. me to nurse more often and pump after, then I wouldn't be having these issues.  I think this happens to a lot of new moms who don't know any better.  In the end they end up formula feeding because their milk supply isn't good enough.  That is not going to happen to me!

So, the SNS is a supplementing system, but I'm pumping and going to supplement the best I can with my OWN breastmilk.  The tube is attached to my nipple which will stimulate me to produce more!  Its a win win!  This is my last and final effort to EBF.  I have researched and researched.  Knowing what I know now, I truely regret listening to my pediatrician in the beginning and I wish she had me just breastfeed more often to make sure Rocco gained more weight.  I wish she had me pump and not tell me to give my baby a man made substance!  I listened to her thinking she knew best.  I was under so much pressure with one baby in NICU and one at home not gaining enough weight I listened.  Now I'm struggling to provide for my babies.

(*Written today)
The good news... I gave NO BOTTLES last night or today!!!  My babies drank only from my breast and were supplemented with my breast milk!  Its such a crazy feeling to see my babies come off my breasts and be SATISFIED!!  Its like I'm waiting for them to still act hungry!  Loving my new SNS!!!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

De-lurking here. Just wanted to offer some encourage on the BF'ing and let you know I think you're doing a great job. I also struggle with low supply and he was given formula in the hospital (grrrr!). I have PCOS and have read amazing things about the Mother's Milk Special Blend capsules off of Amazon that are designed specifically for women with PCOS who suffer from low mammary tissue growth during pregnancy. I tried it out, and it made worlds of difference! Before I could pump 1-2oz., now I can get 4-5oz! I would definitely recommend giving it a shot!

Mindy said...

I should add that I didn't think I had issues with breast growth during pregnancy, but apparently I did. When my milk came in I had plentiful but then it quickly dissipated.

JM said...

I am so glad everyone's doing well!!! Please, please do be careful with the grocery carts though- here's a recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics recommending AGAINST IT: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;118/2/e545

And a sad, sad story: http://law-momma.com/index.php/2011/09/21/a-mothers-prayer/

I don't mean to scare you! Just warn. Good luck with whatever solution you end up with!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...