Friday, May 20, 2011

We've made it!

To 24 weeks that is!  I am so excited that everything is going so smoothly (knock on wood!)!  I am so thankful and blessed that we are in the viability zone (but stay put little ones!)!  I am thankful for every day that my babies are safe and snug inside of me.  Every day is a blessing and I know some people are not so lucky.

(Warning... don't read if you are pregnant!)
I think I've talked about this before, but my mom is a labor and delivery nurse.  Throughout my life I've heard really amazing, positive stories as well as tragic, heartbreaking ones.  I know what can happen, what can go wrong.  My mom has been more careful on telling me things, but I still pry.  Yesterday, I called the hospital to say hi to her (which I've done since I was a little girl) and I was told she was in surgery for an emergency.  Later, when she called back, I asked what happened and I could tell her hesitation.  I still wanted to know.  A woman was admitted for an emergency c-section at 24 weeks one day, her due date was Sept. 6, two days before mine.  I asked what happened and I guess the woman went in for a routine 24 week check up  and told the doctor that she hadn't felt the baby move in a few days.  When the doctor checked, the babies heart rate was at 70 bpm!  I guess the placenta was separating from the uterus!  She was immediately rushed to the hospital to deliver.  Thank God the baby is okay (so far) and is in the NICU.  If you can please pray for the health of this baby.  Thankfully this happened at 24 weeks and not before.

From this tragic story, I will be thankful and blessed for each day my little ones are safe inside me.  I am thankful and blessed for technology and these medical miracles and milestones in pregnancy.  Each day and each week is a blessing that I don't take for granted.  This pregnancy and these boys are miracles in themselves and I feel so lucky for each kick I feel.

24 week update!

How Far Along: 24 weeks and 1 day!  Such a miracle!  I had my 24 week checkup with Dr. I yesterday.  Cervix has decreased slightly from 4.5 to 4.1 but he is still VERY happy with it.  Fluid is good, boys were moving around a lot. 


How Big Are the Babies: Corn on the cob! 12.5 in. and 1.25 lbs!  Although my boys were measuring 1.2 lbs 2 weeks ago!
With all the rapidly developing senses in your babies, they should probably be able to sense what side is upside down or right side up. (Baby A is still head down and Baby B is still Breech)

Your babies respiratory system is also rapidly growing, lungs are developing in preparation for breathing, moving amniotic fluid in and out of the lungs.  For now your babies still gets oxygen through the placenta.


Total weight gain: Shockingly enough I'm only up 1 pound from week 22!  So I've gained 26 lbs!  Its so crazy because I gained 3 lbs the week before that.


Maternity clothes: Yes!  Does anyone know of some good idea's of what to wear for maternity photo's?  I'm having the hardest time finding something!  I am having them done this coming Thursday!



Sleep: Is finally starting to get more difficult.  I have such a hard time getting comfortable enough to fall asleep then I toss and turn all night.  Each time I need to roll over  I wake up and basically have to get to roll over.  My belly is getting nice and large ;-)

GENDER: Two precious little BOYS!!!! We are more than blessed :)

Movement: Kicks are getting harder and harder!  I love it!  I'm hooked and I totally think this is the BEST park of pregnancy!


Food Cravings: Nothing new... lots of milk, dairy, citrus fruits, spicy foods!

What I Miss:   I really miss being able to walk/exercise without pains!


What I'm looking forward to: Taking my maternity photos on Thursday!  Woo hoo!  And I'm also going to say what I'm NOT looking forward too.  I need to go take my GD (gestational diabetes) test before my next appointment in two weeks!  UGH!  I thought it was a one hour test, but it is a 2 1/2 hour test!  I'll have to have my blood drawn three times... a fasting baseline, 1 hour, and 2 hour!  I've never heard of this!  Oh well.


Milestones: Making it to 24 weeks baby!  This is HUGE!

Symptoms: Major ligament pain when walking, fatigue, aches and pains, etc.
 
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 24 week mark! Sounds like everything is going well and your boys are doing everything that 24 week old babies should be doing.

Kristin said...

Congratulations on hitting 24 weeks. I hope your babies stay put for a long time yet.

Saying a prayer for the mom and baby from the emergency your mom helped with.

ICLW #6

C said...

Great blog! Congrats on 24 weeks. I'll definitely say a pray for your mom's patient.

As for the GD test, I failed the 1 hour and then had to take the 3 hour (passed, yay). Having gone through IVF several times, I didn't think the blood draws were a big deal. However, the drink is very sweet which was a bit tough on an empty stomach. I'm sure you'll do just fine, just wanted to warn you.

Looking forward to reading more of your blog!

Casey said...

Hi,

I'm an ICLW visitor. Congratulations on reaching 24 weeks. I'll keep checking in to see how your boys are doing.

Best wishes and ICLW hugs,

Casey

My (In)fertile Confessions said...

Thanks everyone! And My mom's patient will surely appreciate all these prayers :)

Billy said...

Congrats on the milestone!
Sounds very exciting (except for the woman who had to deliver. Sending good wishes to her and her baby)
Good luck with the GD
(ICLW)

Corinne said...

Yeah for making it to 24 weeks! Congratulations on the two lil' guys growing in your belly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...