Thursday, December 23, 2010

The transfer...

Went amazingly well! C and I woke up at 5am, took "army" showers with unscented soap, got dress and were in the car by 525 to make it to our 630 appt. It has been raining here very consistently for the past 7 days, so we wanted to make sure we beat any LA traffic! Californians do not know how to drive in the rain!!

We made it the in 30 min so we stopped off at Starbucks for an egg sandwich... they are delish! We arrived at the RE's at 615.  It was nice not being in a huge rush.  Dr. R was already there and was already doing an egg retrieval. 

They called me back and and I got my gown on.  I had a "comfortably full" bladder and popped a Valium.  I had no idea that I was going to get it, but I guess they want you as calm as possible when implanting embryo's.

C and I both were anxious about finding out what we had left.  I knew not all embryo's would make it.  The night before I probably got four hours of sleep and kept dreaming about my embryo's!  Dr. R came in to check on me after he was done with the other patient so I was able to ask him about how many embryo's.  I told him we know the percentage isn't high for rescue icsi, so can we implant more than one?  He said, "well we have one REALLY good blast, and I will talk to the embryologist about what she suggests."

It was finally my turn to go in.  They wheeled me in the bed, back to the ER/ET room.  The embryologist, Kristine S., came in to talk to us about our embies.  She said she was so excited to come in here and talk to us because we were her first rescue ICSI and there is never this good of a response!  She said they have had Rescue Icsi babies, but never rescue icsi blasts (I really don't want to get my hopes up, but its so hard when you hear things like this!)!  She showed us pics of the TWO blasts she suggested we implant.  One, a grade 4AA, and one an early blast (not sure of grading).  I think that is good!  She was really positive and said, "if you have a baby, no WHEN you have the baby, you have to bring it back to show me."  I said, "of course!" She also said that for baby # 2, they'll do ICSI right away and we'll have a lot of great embryo's!

So, we signed all the paper work and she wheeled in the incubator with our embies in it (it looks like an actual incubator for new born babies).  Kristine called C over and asked him if he wanted to take a look at the embies.  He actually got to see them through a microscope in the incubator before going in me!  He said he could see them moving around!  Crazy!

I was all strapped in, ultrasound ready, Kristine brought the embies over to Dr. R and he inserted the catheter (didn't hurt one bit!).  We could see it on the screen.  He let one embryo drop and  a white flash went on the screen then the other.  We saw them both... so amazing!

I had to lay there for 30 min afterward, then I got dressed and fell asleep in the car on the way home.  C brought me up to bed and I slept til almost noon.  Valium is good ;-)

I am supposed to be on STRICT bed rest for 48 hours.  I have mostly been watching movies while C makes me breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I would say this is the life, but it is TORTURE FOR ME.  I really give those mom's props who do this for months on end.  When I am not feeling sick, I like to be active, and up doing things.  I am on the count down til the morning!

So, tonight I am supposed to be having a Christmas Eve Eve dinner with my family...  My Mom, Dad, brothers, sis in laws, niece, and three nephews.  I had C call my mom yesterday to break the bad news that we weren't able to come and she was devastated and almost started crying!  C came home and felt so bad!  We haven't told my parents about IVF.  They had no idea.  So, C felt so bad that he felt we should tell them...

I was so excited to!  I told them everything, starting back from October!  They both got choked up.  I am happy we told them... more people praying for our embies and a Christmas miracle!


Krista said...

Yay! All sounds great! Congrats on your awesome looking embryos...this sounds so promising! Merry Christmas!!

Rosachka said...

Amazing news!!! So, happy for you!!! Let's get those two implanted and we can be due date buddies (you see, I am positive now too).
I was surprised that they put you on bed rest for 48 hours, we didn't have any of that, after the transfer I spent may be 15-20 min in the hospital and then went to the office (I did have my legs up), but we were told we can go back to our normal lives right away - minus exercise, hot baths and any other strenuous activities. So I hope it was just a practice at your clinic and everything is perfect with you.

It is also amazing that you told your parents, my parents are such a great support system for me.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas, and wish that the next Christmas you'll celebrate with a baby (or two). Good luck!

Anonymous said...

It is funny how each clinic is so different! Relax and invasion those Lil babies implanting! Merry Christmas :)

Karenda said...

Yay great news! So excited for you! Praying for a great outcome!

Rebecca said...

Here from ICLW. Congrats on a great transfer!! Hope you get awesome news in a couple of weeks!!

Anonymous said...

Your story is amazing- sounds like you have some miracle embies! I am rooting for them! Have a merry Christmas! May this year bring you many new and wonderful things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...